Friday, July 13, 2012

The Herb Box


There is no way better to improve a dish like fresh herbs, sure, dry ones will do in a bind like in the dead of winter when a pack of fresh herbs is $8.00 and the one you want is sold out.  I guess that's what you get when you live in Northern Canada and the only fresh herbs that are growing in January is 3300km away in California.

A few summer ago I asked Mr.Loonie to construct me a "box" to house my favorite herbs in neat little compartments.  Each hole measures 7" x7" x7" which allows a good amount of growing space. The outer edges measure 1.5" higher than the soil level. I stained the outside of the box and added handles for easy relocation when a storm is coming in (herbs are finicky and too much moisture can be a bad thing). I have also been thinking of adding wheels.

These pictures were taken a few weeks back shortly after planting.  I will admit that I am lazy and don't plant the herbs from seed but buy them already started from Superstore. :( One day.....

So this year, I planted (from left to right, top to bottom)...rosemary, chervil, thyme, oregano, sage, mint.   My two favorite herbs, basil and Italian parsley are in bigger pots. 

I have a yummy homemade cheese recipe coming up soon using these fresh herbs! Stay tuned...


1 comment:

  1. Love your herb box! And beautiful photo. I have linked to you post on my blog www.ritewhileucan.com
    hope you gets lots of visitors. just planted some myself yesterday.

    ReplyDelete