Monday, March 19, 2012

Homemade Layered Yogurt Cups

At least once a week I was treating myself to the cafeteria made yogurt cups but they aren't even that good! All they contain is thin vanilla yogurt, flavorless oats and a banana chip on the top for decoration.  Every morning I would think of how I could make them better, maybe add some peanut butter or jam or BOTH! OMG..that would be crazy talk.  When I thought about it some more I remembered the easy and delicious recipe my friend Kari posted on her blog for red berry compote and I knew I had the answer!  I used the exact recipe just different berries to layer in between thick fat free vanilla yogurt and a yummy nut and oat mixture.  

Using Kari's recipe, prepare your fruit and add to pot with sugar and fruit juice. Simmer until it thickens up and the berries break down. Let cool.




Next, toast up a mix of nuts and oats in a pan, I had slivered almonds and sunflower seeds on hand. For some extra oomph, I added a sprinkle of cinnamon, nutmeg and stirred in a spoon full of honey. 



Gather all your ingredients together along with your dish or to-go container (mason jars are a perfect vessel) and start to layer the yogurt, compote and oats in that order.  If you are eating the cups immediately you can layer or top with fresh fruit.  This time around, I made them in the evening for work the next morning.  The oats were a little mushy (I personally love this) but the nuts were still very crunchy.

  

Pack up and enjoy a healthy breakfast!





2 comments: